from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The slight projection at the front of the throat formed by the largest cartilage of the larynx, usually more prominent in men than in women.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The lump in the throat, usually more noticeable in men than in women; the laryngeal prominence.
- n. A common name for Tabernaemontana divaricata, a fragrant house plant native to southeast Asia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See under Adam.
- n. The projection formed by the thyroid cartilage in the neck. It is particularly prominent in males, and is so called from a notion that it was caused by the forbidden fruit (an apple) sticking in the throat of our first parent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest cartilage of the larynx
- n. tropical shrub having glossy foliage and fragrant nocturnal flowers with crimped or wavy corollas; northern India to Thailand
Ultimately translation of French pomme d'Adam, pomegranate, Adam's apple (sense influenced by Arabic rummāna, pomegranate, Adam's apple) : pomme, apple + de, of + Adam, Adam.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A calque of French pomme d'Adam. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.