from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Allen, Ethan 1738-1789. American Revolutionary soldier whose troops, the Green Mountain Boys, helped capture Fort Ticonderoga from the British (1775).
- Allen, Fred 1894-1956. American humorist famous for his dry, satirical work in vaudeville, radio, and early television.
- Allen, Grace Ethel Cecile Rosalie Known as "Gracie.” 1906-1964. American comedian best remembered as the confused but unflappable foil to her husband and stage partner, George Burns.
- Allen, Richard 1760-1831. American religious leader and the first bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church (1816-1831).
- Allen, William 1532-1594. English Roman Catholic cardinal who directed the work on the Douay Bible.
- Allen, Woody Originally Allen Stewart Konigsberg. Born 1935. American comic actor, writer, and filmmaker whose films include Annie Hall (1977), which won two Academy Awards, Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989), and Everyone Says I Love You (1996).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A botanical plant name author abbreviation for botanist Timothy Field Allen (1837-1902).
- proper n. An English and Scottish surname derived from the given name Alan.
- proper n. A male given name, a variant of Alan; in modern use often transferred from the surname.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Grass-land recently broken up (Halliwell); uninclosed land that has been tilled and left to run to feed for sheep (Moor).
- n. See allan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soldier of the American Revolution whose troops helped capture Fort Ticonderoga from the British (1738-1789)
- n. United States comedienne remembered as the confused but imperturbable partner of her husband, George Burns (1906-1964)
- n. United States filmmaker and comic actor (1935-)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
JAMES STANFORD, FATHER OF ROBERT ALLEN STANFORD: If I could tell him anything, Allen, call me and just do the right thing, whatever it is.
ALLEN -- The rain fell on Allen alone during the team's 2-0 loss to Plano Tuesday as the Wildcats owned the slop of Ford Field.
KRIS ALLEN -- Allen -- aka David Archuleta Sr. -- looked awfully cute as he brought out his acoustic guitar and strummed away during "Remember The Time," which hit #3 for an unusual four weeks back in 1992, right before Carey would chart with her remake of "Ill Be There."
ALLEN REJOINS CELTICS: Ray Allen rejoined the Boston Celtics yesterday after spending the night in a hospital with his ailing 2-year-old son.
ALLEN � Plano Senior and Allen have had some epic battles over the last 15 years.
ALLEN � When the Allen and Plano East tennis teams clashed little more than a week ago, the Eagles eked out a 10-9 victory.
ALLEN - A 20-year-old Allen resident was injured Saturday when a car slammed into his house.
THAD ALLEN STILL TRUSTS TONY HAYWARD - Dan Froomkin: "Asked at a Friday news conference if he still trusts Hayward, Allen responded: 'The fact of the matter is, we have to have a cooperative, productive relationship for this thing to work moving forward.
I'm glad to see that unlike Sonya Chung, Justin Allen is in no way prone to broad, unsupported generalizations that tar an entire swath of (often quite fine) literature with a reductive and obviously prejudiced brush.
Kevin Allen is one of the great Catholic composers working today.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.