from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sacred bull of the ancient Egyptians, acting as an intermediary between Ptah and humans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of insects of the order Hymenoptera, including the common honeybee (Apis mellifica) and other related species. See honeybee.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of melliferous or anthophilous aculeate hymenopterous insects, the type of the family Apidœ and of the suborder Mellifera or Anthophila; the hive-bees.
- n. The sacred bull of the ancient Egyptians, to which divine honors were paid.
- n. A small southern constellation situated between the Cross and the Chameleon. Same as Musca.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Apidae: honeybees
Sorry, no etymologies found.