American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A legendary British hero, said to have been king of the Britons in the sixth century A.D. and to have held court at Camelot.
- Arthur, Chester Alan 1829-1886. The 21st President of the United States (1881-1885) who became President after the assassination of James A. Garfield. He supported the 1883 Pendleton Act, which created the Civil Service Commission to regulate federal appointments.
- n. elected vice president and became 21st President of the United States when Garfield was assassinated (1830-1886)
- n. a legendary king of the Britons (possibly based on a historical figure in the 6th century but the story has been retold too many times to be sure); said to have led the Knights of the Round Table at Camelot
- From the name of the legendary king, probably related to old Celtic artos ("bear"). (Wiktionary)
“ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!”
“Arthurian, _Arthur of Little Britain_ and _Cleriodus_, avowedly take up the story long subsequently, and only claim for their heroes the glory of distant descent from Arthur and his heroes.”
“Arthur, _dear Arthur_," murmured Robert, and that was all that he could say for weeping.”
“T.nnyson in _Gareth and Lynette_ says that Bellicent was the wife of Lot king of Orkney, and mother of Gaw'ain and Mordred, but this is not in accordance either with the chronicle or the history, for Geoffrey in his _Chronicle_ says that Lot's wife was Anne, the sister (not half-sister) of Arthur (viii. 20, 21), and sir T. Malory, in his _History of Prince Arthur_ says:”
“ARTHUR – A British filmmaker visiting Arthur to recruit Amish teens and young adults for a film is not getting a warm welcome from the Amish community.”
“HEROES BAND TOGETHER IN AN ATTEMPT TO PUT A STOP TO ARTHUR PETRELLI - GEORGE TAKEI, KRISTEN BELL, BREA GRANT, SETH GREEN, BRECKIN MEYER, JAMIE HECTOR AND BLAKE SHIELDS GUEST STAR â Hoping to find a way to stop Arthur (guest star Robert Forster), Hiro (Masi Oka) and Claire (Hayden Panettiere) band together and travel back in time 16 years to when Kaito (guest star George Takei) gave baby Claire to H.R.G.”
“PRES.DENT CLINTON NAMES.ARTHUR CHAPA AS.MEMBER OF THE U.S. MILITARY ACADEMY BOARD OF VIS.TORS.President Clinton today announced his intent to appoint Arthur”
“ARTHUR - Clifford Scott and Katie (Spencer) Arthur, Ithaca, a daughter, Madison Mackenzee,”
“One morning we woke up and noticed that the word Arthur had been added to it.”
“The hamlet that borrows the name Arthur River, a huddle of weathered houses at the northern end of a scary old wooden bridge across the river itself, makes a village like Marrawah look crowded.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Arthur’.
Animated characters from cartoons of the Anglo-Saxon world from the beginnings to this day
"Nebraska established a county-coding system for its passenger plates in 1922. These one- or two-digit prefixes were assigned based on the number of registered vehicles per county in that year. In ...
Looking for tweets for Arthur.