American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Barry, Sir Charles 1795-1860. British architect who designed the Houses of Parliament in London (1839).
- Barry, Philip 1896-1949. American playwright whose works, mostly comedies about the wealthy, include The Philadelphia Story (1939).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as barrow-coat.
- In heraldry, divided into bars: said of the heraldic field. The number of divisions is always even and is always mentioned, as barry of four pieces, barry of six, etc.; if there are not less than eight divisions, the words barruly and barruletty may be employed. Also
- n. A male given name, sometimes also used as a diminutive of Bartholomew.
- n. A surname derived from the given name, or from place names in Scotland and Wales.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Her.) Divided into bars; -- said of the field.
- Anglicized form of Irish Barra, short form of Fionnbharr, from fionn ("white") + barr ("head"). (Wiktionary)
“BOB COWSILL, BROTHER OF BARRY COWSILL: We have a large fan base still after all these years, and we had heard through our Web site that someone had posted that they thought they saw Barry in a CNN video.”
“Closing this window without pressing "Report" will result in your words being lost. listened to the first two of these beauties today ... marcotti on the guardian .. barry much more cheerful, way worse sound quality, good jokes still all the same there, and a more varied format, methinks good call by Barry on the Adebayor machine Gun sounds and gestures by the Man Utd fans.”
“MICHAEL RAINS, DEFENSE ATTORNEY FOR BARRY BONDS: Barry testified truthfully to the grand jury.”
“Promoted to Headline (H3) on 9/6/09: It's time to say ‘bye-bye, Barry 'and ‘hello, Hussein'! yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'It\'s time to say ‘bye-bye, Barry\' and ‘hello, Hussein\ '!”
“Gibb posted a picture of him and his brother on his website on Nov. 15 under the title "Barry good times," in which he looks frail and gaunt.”
“We never heard the name Barry Bonds on the recording," said Jessica, a juror who said Anderson would have "shed a lot of light" on the case if he testified.”
“Brunonia Barry is the author of The Lace Reader, a book that several friends recommended to me.”
“In Dreams, it is Regina who convinces Obama to abandon the name Barry.”
“The best way to pitch to Barry is to hope he comes up in the right scenario two out and no one on base.”
“The 28-year-old actress also has a bluebird on her wrist which she calls Barry and says was inspired by one drawn by actress Edie Sedgewick, who she portrayed in the movie Factory Girl.”
‘Barry’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Barry.