from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Barton, Clara Full name Clarissa Harlowe Barton. 1821-1912. American administrator who did battlefield relief work during the Civil War and organized the American Red Cross (1881).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any of many placenames in England
- proper n. An English habitational surname from the placenames.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The demesne lands of a manor; also, the manor itself.
- n. A farmyard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The demain lands of a manor, not rented, but retained for the use of the lord of the manor. Also called berwick.
- n. A farm-yard.
Sorry, no etymologies found.