from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A region of eastern India and Bangladesh. It was a province of India until 1947, when the eastern part became East Pakistan, and later (1971) Bangladesh, and the western section was included in independent India.
- Bay ofBengal An arm of the Indian Ocean bordered by Sri Lanka and India on the west, Bangladesh on the north, and Myanmar (Burma) and Thailand on the east.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A region in the northeast of South Asia.
- proper n. A player on the team The Cincinnati Bengals.
- n. A short-haired domestic cat breed, which originated in the United States.
- n. A cat of this breed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A province in India, giving its name to various stuffs, animals, etc.
- proper n. A thin stuff, made of silk and hair, originally brought from Bengal.
- proper n. Striped gingham, originally brought from Bengal; Bengal stripes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thin stuff made of silk and hair, used for women's apparel: formerly made in Bengal.
- n. An imitation of striped muslin. Also called Bengal stripe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a region whose eastern part is now Bangladesh and whose western part is included in India
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Another collection from Bengal was that of Lal Behari Day, a Hindu gentleman, in his _Folk-Tales of Bengal_ (London, Macmillan,
NAGRAKATA / BANERHAT (WEST BENGAL): One Gorkha Janamukti Morcha supporter pierced by an arrow and two tribals beaten black-and-blue â€ "the GJM-tribal violence ignited at Malbazar in the Dooars in north Bengal spread like fire hugging the national highway and threatened to spiral out of control on Saturday.
Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's account of family life in Bengal is warm and richly detailed.
Rumer Godden's The River explores the yearnings of a young girl, who seems to be about 11 years old, in Bengal in the early years of the 20th century.
In the months after the Japanese surrender, the Gurkas were good at aiding the civil power (i.e. dealing with Hindu-Moslen violence in Bengal)
Islam did not arrive in Bengal until the end of the 12th century, when Muslim invaders brought it from the northwest.
It is used in Bengal, in India, and it elevates potatoes to new heights.
From their base in Bengal in northeastern India in the mid-1700s, British officials encountered in speech and writing all three terms, Afghan, Pashtun, and Pathan.
Jeff Vaughan is a telepath working for a security company in Bengal Station, an interstellar port based near India and Thailand.
The Permanent Settlement had robbed many poor peasants of their land, not only in Bengal but in Orissa, Bihar and even distant Uttar Pradesh.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.