from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Bennett, (Enoch) Arnold 1867-1931. British writer whose plays and novels, such as The Old Wives' Tale (1908), were influenced by the French realists and depict life among the lower middle classes.
- Bennett, Floyd 1890-1928. American aviator and Arctic explorer who won fame for making the first flight over the North Pole with Richard E. Byrd (1926). Evidence brought to light in the 1990s suggested that the two never reached the North Pole.
- Bennett, James Gordon 1795-1872. American journalist and publisher who founded and edited (1835-1867) the New York Herald. His son James Gordon Bennett (1841-1918) succeeded him as editor (1867), founded the Paris edition of the Herald, and funded expeditions and sporting events.
- Bennett, Richard Bedford. Viscount Bennett. 1870-1947. Canadian prime minister (1930-1935) who convened the 1932 economic conference in Ottawa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English patronymic surname from a medieval form of Benedict.
- proper n. A male given name transferred back from the surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States aviator who (with Richard E. Byrd) piloted the first flight over the North Pole (1890-1928)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The drawing is a charcoal sketch on watercolor paper, and features Lady Gaga reclining nude, signed by "Benedetto," the name Bennett signs all his art works with.
They need a reason to have Claire run away from Odessa Texas and join up with some of the other HEROES ... killing off Mommy Bennett is the ideal solution. chrispian
Tony Bennett is wrapping up the first phase of his rebuilding plan at Virginia.
Bennett is figuring out who among the holdovers from the Dave Leitao era is worth keeping around.
Bill Bennett is the biggest racist you have on your show.
This guy Bennett is thinking about the party before the individual.
Bill Bennett is not a "top republican", like your front page says.
Bennett is not a public servant, he's a talk show host.
Bennett is just jealous because he can't get pretty Argentinian girls to even look at his bloated Republican ego and belly.
Bennett is right, he should know embarressing well as he is among the no serving, speak with forked tongue gop. both of these dudes combind don't amount to a small hill of beans, much a man.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.