from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Benton 1, Thomas Hart Called "Old Bullion.” 1782-1858. American legislator. A U.S. senator (1821-1851) and representative (1853-1855) from Missouri, he staunchly opposed the use of paper currency.
- Benton 2, Thomas Hart 1889-1975. American artist whose paintings and murals, such as The History of Missouri, were executed in a flat, realistic style known as regionalism and portrayed life in the Midwest and South.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. fixed in your purpose
- n. United States legislator who opposed the use of paper currency (1782-1858)
- n. United States artist whose paintings portrayed life in the Midwest and South (1889-1975)
Sorry, no etymologies found.