American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A city of western California on San Francisco Bay north of Oakland. Founded as Oceanview on land purchased from a Spanish family in 1853, it was renamed Berkeley in 1866. A branch of the University of California is here (established 1872). Population: 102,000.
- Berkeley, Busby 1895-1976. American choreographer and film director noted for lavish, synchronized dance routines in films such as 42nd Street (1933).
- Berkeley, George 1685-1753. Irish prelate and philosopher whose idealist philosophy, directed against the materialism of Thomas Hobbes, is based on the thought that to be is to perceive or to be perceived. His works include Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge (1710) and Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonous (1713).
- Berkeley, Sir William 1606-1677. English colonial governor of Virginia (1641-1649 and 1660-1677) whose policies led to Bacon's Rebellion (1676).
- n. A habitational surname from the Old English words beorce léah meaning birch lea.
- n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
- n. Any of several places, including a city in California.
- n. The University of California in Berkeley
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Bishop George Berkeley; b. 1685, d. 1753.
- n. a city in California on the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay; site of the University of California at Berkeley
- n. Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop who opposed the materialism of Thomas Hobbes (1685-1753)
“Once a name like berkeley.edu got assigned to the University of California at Berkeley, its local network administrator could independently add computers within the domain, numbering and naming them.”
“BERKELEY - Berkeley blogger Jane Stillwater is suing the federal government for the cost of an airplane ticket to Kuwait and the cost of 15 mocha lattes from the airport Starbucks, where she spent two sleepless days because her previously approved embed with the U.S.”
“BERKELEY - A judge has ruled that University of California, Berkeley police illegally searched the camera of a photojournalist covering a student protest outside the chancellor's home.”
“BERKELEY - Human ancestors who roamed the dry and open savannas of Africa about 2 million years ago routinely began to include meat in their diets to compensate for a serious decline in the quality of plant foods, according to a physical anthropologist at the University of California, Berkeley.”
“BERKELEY - Officials at the University of California at Berkeley say hackers infiltrated restricted computer databases, and the personal information of up to 160,000 people may be compromised.”
“(Media-Newswire. com) - BERKELEY - Two new studies led by researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, suggest that taking maternity leave before and after the birth of a baby is a good investment in terms of health benefits for both mothers and newborns.”
“\ "We found that kids are more likely to have a low BERKELEY - University of California, response if they have low socioeconomic Berkeley, researchers have shown for the status, though not everyone who is poor has first time that the brains of low-income low frontal lobe response. \" children function differently from the brains of high-income kids.”
‘Berkeley’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Berkeley.