from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Blanc, Louis 1811-1882. French political theorist whose writings, most notably Organization of Work (1839), are among the most influential early socialist treatises.
- Blanc, Melvin Jerome Known as "Mel.” 1908-1989. American actor who gained fame as the voice of more than 400 cartoon characters, including Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig.
- MontBlanc The highest peak of the Alps, rising to 4,810.2 m (15,771 ft) in the Savoy Alps of southeast France on the Italian border.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A white cosmetic.
- n. A white sauce of fat, broth, and vegetables, used esp. for braised meat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. 1. A silver coin, weighing about 47 grains, struck by Henry VI. of England (1422-1461) for his French dominions. Sometimes spelled blank or blanck.
- n. A French silver coin, first issued by Philip of Valois (1328-1350) at the value of 10 deniers, or livre.
- n. A white paint, especially for the face.
- n. 4. A piece of ware such as is generally decorated, sold or delivered without its decoration.
- n. A rich stock or gravy in which made dishes or entrées are sometimes served.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white sauce of fat, broth, and vegetables (used especially with braised meat)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Chenin Blanc is the perfect wine – fruit like chard, acid like SB and a minerality all its own.
Some connoisseurs think Savenni è res is the ultimate expression of Chenin Blanc (granted, it's a narrow field of competition).
A crisp young South African Chenin Blanc went very nicely with the kimchee, dumplings and pancake.
Almost entirely, the wines of Vouvray are from the Chenin Blanc grape and Vouvray is in many ways the apogee of Chenin Blanc.
Should Chenin Blanc replace Sauvignon Blanc in the royal grape palace?
Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin Blanc are both wonderful varietals.
Chenin Blanc vs. Sauvignon Blanc - a battle royale?
In discovery, it was found that the lost wine had 20% Chenin Blanc purchased at wholesale at a price way below what labeled grape would have cost.
Chenin Blanc vs. Sauvignon Blanc – a battle royale?
If this comes from getting classifies as noble, great, if it comes from more discussions like this, even better. 50% of all Chenin Blanc vines are planted in South Africa. 15-20% of all vines in South Africa are Chenin – many old vine.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.