from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of west-central Maryland northeast of Washington, D.C. It is primarily residential. Population: 53,300.
- Bowie, James 1796-1836. American-born Mexican colonist who joined the Texan forces during the struggle for independence from Mexico. He died during the defense of the Alamo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A botanical plant name author abbreviation for botanist James Bowie (1789-1869).
- proper n. A surname.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large wooden milk-bowl.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States pioneer and hero of the Texas revolt against Mexico; he shared command of the garrison that resisted the Mexican attack on the Alamo where he died (1796-1836)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
BOWIE (Special) - The city of Bowie now has its own football stadium, as Bowie ISD returned the property donated in 1948.
(Does anyone know if dad David Bowie is doing any music for the film?)
That would be nauseating, but maybe David Bowie from the “Labyrinth” could be a good look - specifically the ‘Goblin Dance’ scene.
: At Tulip Grove Elementary School in Bowie, voters passed by the usual colorful campaign signs on their way in, but by 3 p.m. there were no pamphlet-wielding campaign workers like at many other polling spots.
I mean Bowie is a singer-songwriter, PJ Harvey is a singer-songwriter.
Charles E. Smith, former NBA player, was reportedly shot on Thursday in Bowie, Maryland.
In advance of President Obama's campaign event for O'Malley in Bowie Thursday, The Sun's Julie Bykowicz reports that O'Malley is stepping up his courtship of the state's African-American community -- a constituency with which the Democrat has had a complicated relationship, but which could decide the outcome of his race against Republican former Gov.
David Bowie is the latest artist rumoured to be among the headliners for the upcoming 2009 Coachella Music Festival.
Jim Bowie is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I agree with ElBruce – I think Bowie is a kid out of school on a snow day.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.