from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Brown, Charles Brockden 1771-1810. American writer and editor who is considered America's first professional novelist. Brown is best known for his Gothic romances, such as Wieland (1798), Ormund (1799), and Jane Talbot (1801).
- Brown, Clifford Known as "Brownie.” 1930-1956. American jazz trumpeter whose work, especially as a member of the quintet he formed with Max Roach (1954-1956), influenced jazz improvisation and bop styles.
- Brown, Herbert Charles 1912-2004. British-born American chemist. He shared a 1979 Nobel Prize for discoveries in the chemistry of boron and phosphorus.
- Brown, James 1933-2006. American singer. First popular in the 1950s with hits like "Please, Please, Please,” he is often called the "Godfather of Soul.”
- Brown, James Nathaniel Known as "Jim.” Born 1936. American football player. A running back with the Cleveland Browns (1957-1971), he led the National Football League in rushing for seven of his eight seasons and is listed as one of the NFL all-time rushing leaders.
- Brown, John 1800-1859. American abolitionist. In 1859 Brown and 21 followers captured the U.S. arsenal at Harper's Ferry as part of an effort to liberate Southern slaves. His group was defeated, and Brown was hanged after a trial in which he won sympathy as an abolitionist martyr.
- Brown, Margaret Wise 1910-1952. American author of children's picture books, including the Noisy Book series (1939) and Goodnight Moon (1947).
- Brown, Olympia 1835-1926. American Universalist minister and suffragist who was the first woman in the United States to be ordained in the ministry of an established denomination (1863).
- Brown, Robert 1773-1858. Scottish botanist known for his investigation of the sexual behavior of plants. His discovery of the irregular movement of pollen grains led to the concept known as Brownian motion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A common surname.
Look back - even when we had growth uinder brown he ran deficits so how on earth can Brown expect growth top pay back the debt?? br UKIP is is usual tiresome odious and fallacious self.
Im an ordinary working man and dont know what PMQ's you were watching but brown looked terrible didnt answer a question in fact it was more like Cameron was PM and Brown asking the questions in opposition!
I have dark brown/black hair, Brown eyes, I am medium sized and have darker skin.
My favorite brown liner is Jane Gliding Liner in Velvet Brown, soft enough to smudge but never greasy or runny.
In the case of this "brown ale", perhaps "Imperial Brown Ale" would have been closer, but really, why bother?
Link chris brown hope u r alright and all of the fans that r your so called fans should always have your back through watever but im out love you BabY your future wifey Tiara Brown not Rihanna
BROWN: Brown punched Rihanna in the face, bit her, shoved her head against a car door window, and threatened to kill her.
A combination of granulated, light brown, and dark brown sugars – Brown sugars make cookies more moist and chewy than does granulated sugar.
I do have a fab brown leather purse from France and it is classy classy and nothing like Boring Brown, you have never seen such beautiful, shiny leather, and it's a shoulder bag and a great shape.
BROWN: Well, because I'm frankly getting tired of Chertoff out there every time he testifies talking about how Brown didn't do this or that, or he's trying to act independently.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.