American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Burns, Arthur Frank 1904-1987. Austrian-born American economist and diplomat who served as chairman of the Federal Reserve Board (1970-1978) and U.S. ambassador to Germany (1981-1985).
- Burns, George 1896-1996. American comedian and actor. From 1922 to 1964 he and Gracie Allen were a popular husband-and-wife comedy team. After her death he appeared in both comic and dramatic roles, winning an Academy Award in 1975 for The Sunshine Boys.
- Burns, Robert 1759-1796. Scottish poet considered the major poetic voice of his nation. His lyrics, written in dialect and infused with humor, celebrate love, patriotism, and rustic life.
- n. A surname.
- n. United States comedian and film actor (1896-1996)
- n. celebrated Scottish poet (1759-1796)
“VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'MT-SEN: Burns Campaign Punishes Newspaper For Writing About Poll'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'The campaign of GOP Senator Conrad Burns had a curious reaction to a local paper\'s decision to write an article about a poll showing Burns down: It lashed back at the newspaper, yanking its credentials to cover Burns\' election night event.”
“[Footnote: For verse glorifying the peasant aspect of Burns see Thomas Campbell, _Ode to Burns_; Whittier, _Burns_; Joaquim Miller,”
“So, Andrew RT Davies will replace Italian Scallion Alun Cairns as the Shadow Education Minister, whilst Angela Burns is to be the new Chair of the Finance Committee.”
“Burns is working in colour this time and in a format that brings to mind nothing so much as Hergé's Tintin; the cover is an obvious homage to Herge's adventure The Shooting Star.”
“Instead of leaving snarky comments on the internet, Burns is urging like-minded haters to put their money where their mouths are.”
“I have ardent wishes on that point, and have some reasons rising up against their completion, two of which are, — Burns is dead!! or I might have seen him — I am married —”
“So it seems if Burns is even in the polls, he has a great chance of winning due to the greater enthusiasm of Republicans and independents this year as opposed to Democrats.”
“But Burns is up 87-10 with Republicans and has a 52-31 lead with independents.”
“Supreme Court, and the Alabama Court accordingly abandoned its earlier rationale in Burns, in light of intervening federal authority.”
“NEW YORK mdash; Filmmaker Ken Burns is partnering with the Tauck tour company to offer trips to national parks, Civil War sites and other destinations ...”
‘Burns’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Burns.