American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Burroughs, Edgar Rice 1875-1950. American writer best known for creating the character Tarzan in his novel Tarzan of the Apes (1914).
- Burroughs, John 1837-1921. American naturalist and writer whose vivid essays gained him wide popularity as a benign sage of nature.
- Burroughs 1, William Seward 1855-1898. American inventor who in the early 1890s designed and patented the first practical adding machine.
- Burroughs 2, William Seward 1914-1997. American writer noted especially for Naked Lunch (1959), a surrealist portrait of drug addiction.
- n. United States inventor who patented the first practical adding machine (1855-1898)
- n. United States novelist and author of the Tarzan stories (1875-1950)
- n. United States writer noted for his works portraying the life of drug addicts (1914-1997)
“Board Member Chris Stewart made a surprise visit to Burroughs Elementary School on Friday during which he called Burroughs Principal Tim Cadotte and the entire school community racist, parents said.”
“But, then again, I still think that E.R. Burroughs is king because he never pretended that his work was “great literature”.”
“Burroughs is an education policy major at Bowie State; Murray is studying economics at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.”
“Many of the taboos that do exist today seem to turn the old taboos on their heads; the explicit racism and sexism found in Burroughs or Lovecraft would make a novel unpublishable today by any legitimate press.”
“Bestselling author, heroin addict and all-round beat generation visionary William S Burroughs is to be the subject of two decidedly unseasonal Christmas exhibitions.”
“And what does one call Burroughs's Barsoom and Tarzan novels?”
“This artwork by infamous Beat author, artist, and firearm enthusiast William S. Burroughs is currently listed for a live auction on eBay.”
“Earlier in the interview, he discussed Burroughs and Naked Lunch saying, Burroughs is a legitimate artist, but he is not as good as his admirers think and he is nowhere near as bad as the people who have never read him believe.”
“Augusten Burroughs is another given to embellishing his life down.”
‘Burroughs’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Burroughs.