from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Cabot, John Originally Giovanni Caboto. 1450?-1498? Italian-born explorer who commanded the English expedition that discovered the North American mainland (1497).
- Cabot, Sebastian 1476?-1557. Italian-born explorer and cartographer who led an English expedition in search of the Northwest Passage (1509) and a Spanish expedition to South America (1525-1528). He published a map of the world in 1544.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dry measure in general use in the island of Jersey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. son of John Cabot who was born in Italy and who led an English expedition in search of the Northwest Passage and a Spanish expedition that explored the La Plata region of Brazil; in 1544 he published a map of the world (1476-1557)
- n. Italian explorer who led the English expedition in 1497 that discovered the mainland of North America and explored the coast from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland (ca. 1450-1498)
Sorry, no etymologies found.