from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northern Mexico south of Ciudad Juárez. It is the rail and commercial center for the vast northern section of the country. Population: 749,000.
- n. A very small dog of a breed originating in Mexico, having pointed ears and a smooth coat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A desert state in northwestern Mexico.
- n. The capital city of the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
- n. Alternative spelling of chihuahua. (the dog breed)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an old breed of tiny short-coated dogs with protruding eyes, originating in Mexico, believed to antedate Aztec civilization.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in northern Mexico in the state of Chihuahua; commercial center of northern Mexico
- n. an old breed of tiny short-haired dog with protruding eyes from Mexico held to antedate Aztec civilization
- n. a state in northern Mexico; mostly high plateau
After Chihuahua, a city and state of northern Mexico.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
The origin of the name is not known for sure, but it is old, predating the Spanish, and is thought to derive from the Nahuatl Xicuahua ("dry, sandy place"). (Wiktionary)