from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Collins 1, Michael 1890-1922. Irish nationalist and Sinn Fein leader who helped negotiate the establishment of the Irish Free State (1921).
- Collins 2, Michael Born 1930. Italian-born American astronaut who as a crew member of Apollo 11 piloted the spacecraft during its historic mission to the moon (1969). He orbited the moon alone while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin made the first manned lunar landing.
- Collins, William J. Known as "Billy” Born 1941. American poet and former U.S. Poet Laureate (2001-2003).
- Collins, (William) Wilkie 1824-1889. British writer noted for his pioneering detective novels, including The Woman in White (1860) and The Moonstone (1868).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English patronymic surname from the given name Colin, pet form of Coll (Nicholas).
- proper n. An Irish surname, Anglicized from the Gaelic Ó Coileáin.
- n. Any of various alcoholic drinks made with lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English writer noted for early detective novels (1824-1889)
- n. tall iced drink of liquor (usually gin) with fruit juice
Sorry, no etymologies found.
COLLINS: Well, Ali, just because you have a down time, climb in there and see if you can see packages that say "Collins, H."
H. COLLINS: All right, Senator Collins, on Monday now, we also heard something from Secretary Colin Powell, talking about how he really didn't think it was that great of an idea for the CIA, the FBI and the Pentagon to serve in that inner circle, if you will, of the NID.
COLLINS - Services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Billy M. King Colonial Chapel Funeral Home in Collins for Jewel Crosby Drennan, 93, of Collins, who died June 6, 2009, at Covington County Nursing Center.
I gave her the two planes on the condition that she retain the name Collins Aviation.
I would say the Collins is the best ambassador for TE because he is the most respectful in the treatment of IDists, and he is perceived as a man of God.
What I like about the Harper Collins is that all the grammar and extra information is in English, making it easier for beginners to use. viktoremski
I have two books that supposedly specialize in expressions, but the Collins is more thorough and more accurate.
The home of the borough's second mayor, Edwin Collins, still stands behind it on the corner of Forepeak and Spring.
Milwaukee's WITI-TV aired video in which Collins is seen yelling at a fan as he left the field.
And Wilkie Collins is very adept at stringing the reader on (which is why I like him so much – he anticipates how a reader is feeling).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.