from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southern California, a residential and industrial suburb between Los Angeles and Long Beach. Population: 95,700.
- Compton, Arthur Holly 1892-1962. American physicist. He shared a 1927 Nobel Prize for his discovery of the Compton effect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any of several placenames in England from the Old English words for valley and habitation.
- proper n. An English habitational surname from the placenames.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States physicist noted for research on x-rays and gamma rays and nuclear energy; his observation that X-rays behave like miniature bowling balls in their interactions with electrons provided evidence for the quantal nature of light (1892-1962)
Sorry, no etymologies found.