from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Davy, Sir Humphry 1778-1829. British chemist who was a pioneer of electrochemistry, using its methods to isolate sodium and potassium (1807) and barium, boron, calcium, and magnesium (1808).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A diminutive of the male given name David.
- proper n. A patronymic surname derived from David.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The safety-lamp invented for the protection of coal-miners by Sir H. Davy.
- n. An affidavit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English chemist who was a pioneer in electrochemistry and who used it to isolate elements sodium and potassium and barium and boron and calcium and magnesium and chlorine (1778-1829)
Sorry, no etymologies found.