American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A municipal borough of southeast England on the Strait of Dover opposite Calais, France. Site of a Roman lighthouse, it has been a strategic port since medieval times. The chalk cliffs rising above the city have caves and tunnels originally used by smugglers. Population: 34,000.
- The capital of Delaware, in the central part of the state. Founded in 1683 on orders from William Penn, it became capital in 1777. Population: 34,700.
- Strait of In French Pas de Ca·lais
(pä də kă-lāˈ, kălˈā, kä-lĕˈ)Dover A narrow channel at the eastern end of the English Channel between southeast England and northern France.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as dove.
- n. A clasp-knife of a kind originally made by a cutler named Dover.
- n. the capital of the state of Delaware
“The commanding officer in the air conditioned office told me if he wanted those vehicles in dover next month he would have his bous drive em, “I want these Hummers at Dover A.S.A.P! is that understood!” he said”
“DOVER (AP) - Dover police say a local snowmobiler, knocked unconscious for several hours after going over an embankment is fortunate he made it out of the woods.”
“DOVER, Vt. (AP) - Dover police say a local snowmobiler knocked unconscious for several hours after going over an embankment is fortunate he made it out of the woods.”
“DOVER, N.H. (AP) - A Dover woman has been charged with conspiracy to commit murder and being an accomplice to the first-degree murder of her boyfriend last year.”
“Q The other question is that Senator Glenn, outside, who seemed to be a man looking to be persuaded, said that the Haiti action, any action in Haiti, needed to pass what he called the Dover test.”
“A great deal of observation has been made about the character of hand-writing, of what I call the Dover letter -- the letter sent to”
The Trial of Charles Random de Berenger, Sir Thomas Cochrane, commonly called Lord Cochrane, the Hon. Andrew Cochrane Johnstone, Richard Gathorne Butt, Ralph Sandom, Alexander M'Rae, John Peter Holloway, and Henry Lyte for A Conspiracy In the Court of King's Bench, Guildhall, on Wednesday the 8th, and Thursday the 9th of June, 1814
“Dover is not a crusader, just a young litigation attorney who wants to do good and professional work.”
“The portion of the parkway extending north of Beachwood from Interchange 80 north to Interchange 83 in Dover Township is toll free and is part of U.S. Route 9.”
“Coming Home -- The media ban against coverage of arrivals of the fallen at Dover is lifted.”
“Others, we learned, were off working jobs in Dover and even Nashville.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Dover’.
Looking for tweets for Dover.