from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. electron spin resonance
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- electron spin resonance
- erythrocyte sedimentation rate
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. microwave spectroscopy in which there is resonant absorption of radiation by a paramagnet
- n. the rate at which red blood cells settle out in a tube of blood under standardized conditions; a high rate usually indicates the presence of inflammation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Windows Azure really is the "cathedral running in the cloud", to continue ESR's analogy.
This is less attractive to developers not working on the Microsoft stack today as it's too proprietary-feeling to those who are used to working in a more – coming back to ESR – "bazaar" environment.
Back in 1999 I went to see Eric S Raymond ESR to his friends at a Linux user group meeting in Phoenix.
Where uranium uptake into teeth was significant, an approach combining ESR and 230Th/234U isotopic analysis also yields excellent ages.
Application of electron spin resonance (ESR) dating of tooth enamel constrains the ages well where uranium uptake was minor.
• Sedimentation Rate (sed. rate or ESR): The erythrocyte sedimentation rate is an indication of the degree of inflammation in the body.
In lupus and polymyalgia rheumatica, the ESR often correlates with disease activity.
Both CRP and ESR levels are used to monitor disease activity and to monitor how well someone is responding to treatment.
ESR, for those who don't immediately recognize what he was riffing off.
One of the specific things I hated most about America's anaphylactic reaction to 9/11 was that ESR turned from the cool guy who wrote The Cathedral and the Bazaar into a flaming lunatic with loathsome and idiotic ideas.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.