from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A community of central New Jersey northeast of New Brunswick. It is mainly residential. Population: 99,500.
- Edison, Thomas Alva 1847-1931. American inventor who patented more than a thousand inventions, among them the microphone (1877), the phonograph (1878), and an incandescent lamp (1879). In New York City he installed the world's first central electric power plant (1881-1882).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English patronymic or metronymic surname derived from Adam and Edith.
- proper n. Thomas Edison, American inventor and businessman.
- n. an electric utility
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States inventor; inventions included the phonograph and incandescent electric light and the microphone and the Kinetoscope (1847-1931)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Ryan Phelps 6-2, 6-1. edison 6, odessa-montour 1 Wednesday at Edison
I noticed that Muhlenberg's 'partner', JFK in Edison is not listed as having any psychiatric beds, nor are RWJ or St. Peter's in New Brunswick.
Steve Jobs has been called the Edison of our times and a technology and marketing genius.
No wonder Detroit Edison is keeping an eye on the beavers.
Ah, if I were only as great a sociological wizard as Edison is a wizard in physical sciences.
It's like steampunk 19th-century America, Thomas Edison is a warlock, and you're a greedy professor looking for treasure at sea.
"Edison is a compilation of Ask. com's core search technologies, including Teoma's subject specific communities with Direct Hit's click tracking algorithm layered on top of it."
USA TODAY goes after the fashionable looks of Nicole Kidman — from her new film Australia, her red-carpet moments and her day-to-day life — at The Limited in Edison, N.J. FASHION FORWARD: Sweaters are right on the button this winter
In this last bureaucrat-speak idea he is aping the social science wisdom of Terry Moe and John Chubb (Chubb runs that wondrous for-profit outfit called Edison Learning).
So SoCal Edison is incorporating a largescale community outreach effort to recycle the bulbs into their plan to distribute them.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.