from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo 1803-1882. American writer, philosopher, and central figure of American transcendentalism. His poems, orations, and especially his essays, such as Nature (1836), are regarded as landmarks in the development of American thought and literary expression.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
- proper n. Ralph Waldo Emerson, American writer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States writer and leading exponent of transcendentalism (1803-1882)
From Emery + -son. (Wiktionary)