from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Ford, Elizabeth Bloomer Known as "Betty.” Born 1918. First Lady of the United States (1974-1977) as the wife of President Gerald R. Ford. She supported the Equal Rights Amendment, the arts, and programs for disabled children.
- Ford, Ford Madox Originally Ford Hermann Hueffer. 1873-1939. British writer and editor whose most important novels, The Good Soldier (1915) and the tetralogy Parade's End (1924-1928), examine the bonds of conjugal and adulterous relationships.
- Ford, Gerald Rudolph 1913-2006. The 38th President of the United States (1974-1977), who was appointed Vice President on the resignation of Spiro Agnew (1973) and became President after Richard Nixon's resignation over the Watergate scandal. As President, Ford granted a full pardon to Nixon (1974).
- Ford, Henry 1863-1947. American automobile manufacturer who developed a gasoline-powered automobile (1893), founded the Ford Motor Company (1903), and mass-produced the Model T (1908-1927), the first generally affordable and widely available automobile. His son Edsel Bryant Ford (1893-1943) ran the company from 1919 to 1943, as did his grandson Henry Ford II (1917-1987) from 1945 to 1980.
- Ford 1, John 1586-1639. English playwright whose works include 'Tis Pity She's a Whore (1633) and collaborative efforts, notably with Thomas Dekker and John Webster.
- Ford 2, John Originally Sean Aloysius O'Feeney. 1895-1973. American filmmaker who won an Academy Award for his direction of The Informer (1935), The Grapes of Wrath (1940), How Green Was My Valley (1941), and The Quiet Man (1952).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A topographic surname for someone who lived near a ford.
- n. A make of car, named for Henry Ford.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
ALAN MULALLY, CEO, FORD: It's a real opportunity to do what we've been doing at Ford, and that is absolutely make sure that we're sized for this lower demand.
ALAN MULALLY, CEO, FORD MOTOR COMPANY: It's a real opportunity to do what we have been doing at Ford, and that is absolutely make sure that we're sized for this lower demand, also to accelerate the development of the new vehicles that people really do want and value.
FORD. com Ford launched a digital campaign last week to differentiate itself from Detroit rivals GM and Chrysler.
FORD: Actually, Ford, we were profitable in the first quarter.
JACQUES NASSER, PRESIDENT AND CEO, FORD: Until we virtually pried the claims data from Firestone's hands in late July, early August, and analyzed it ourselves, it was only then, and that was only a few days before the recall was announced, that Ford engineers found conclusive evidence at that point that the tires were defective.
(AP) -- Jamie McM .. fordracing Just posted quotes from Ford drivers in today's Aaron's 499 to media. ford.com and fordracing.com. #nascar danielvining What a day.
For your Eco-Driving tips, visit ford. digitalsnippets.com Tests performed by Ford
•Ford Mustang sales were up 62 percent in December, and Ford Focus sales increased 22 percent.
FORD - The city of Ford has a new mayor and two new councilmen.
In 2006 ford re flaxed my ecm and deleted the EBP sensor, which was ok with me but they also up dated the trans pcm and deleted 6-5 tow down shift, I sued Ford and they settled out of court, but would not reflash the Trans pcm.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.