American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A city of south-central Arizona, southeast of Phoenix. Population: 192,000.
- Gilbert, Cass 1859-1934. American architect whose design of the 60-story Woolworth Building in New York City (1913) greatly influenced the development of the skyscraper.
- Gilbert, Sir Humphrey 1539?-1583. English navigator who urged exploration for the Northwest Passage, established in Newfoundland (1583) the first English colony in North America, and was lost at sea during a homeward voyage.
- Gilbert, Walter Born 1932. American biologist. He shared a 1980 Nobel Prize for developing methods of mapping the structure and function of DNA.
- Gilbert, William 1544-1603. English court physician noted for his studies of electricity and magnetism.
- Gilbert, Sir William Schwenck 1836-1911. British playwright and lyricist known for a series of comic operas, including H.M.S. Pinafore (1878) and The Pirates of Penzance (1879), written with composer Sir Arthur Sullivan.
- n. A male given name.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. William Schwenk Gilbert, an English dramatist born at London Nov. 18, 1836. He is most famous for his collaborations with Sir Arthur Sullivan on a number of humorous light operas which are known as “Gilbert and Sullivan Operas”. His first play was “Dulcamara” (1866). He also wrote “The Palace of Truth” (1870), “Pygmalion and Galatea” (1871), “Sweethearts” (1874), “Engaged” (1877), “The Mountebanks” (1891), and in collaboration with Sir A. Sullivan (who wrote the music), he wrote “The Sorcerer” (1877), “H. M. S. Pinafore” (1878), “The Pirates of Penzance” (1879), “Patience” (1881), “Iolanthe” (1883), “The Mikado” (1885), “Ruddygore” (1887), “The Yeomen of the Guard” (1888), “The Gondoliers” (1889), and “Utopia, limited” (1893). The light operas proved very popular and continue to be performed over one hundred years later. He also published other works.
- Germanic gisil ("pledge") + berht ("bright, famous"). Name of a 12th century English saint. (Wiktionary)
“WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE" This 1993 film stars Johnny Depp as Gilbert, who has to take care of his family and navigate a complicated personal life.”
“GILBERT -- A student at a Gilbert elementary school was suspended after reportedly bringing a knife to school last week.”
“- Gilbert Arenas should know his fate -- at least in terms of how long he'll be suspended from the NBA -- by the end of next week celticsblog. com 22 days ago - The Gilbert Arenas Gun Incident The GIlbert Arenas gun incident has had many twists and turns and Gilbert himself is a bit like an onion (many layered, right Shrek?).”
“Gilbert Arenas, less than a season into his comeback from a long, frustrating knee injury, brandished 3 "unloaded" guns in the ... celticsblog. com 22 days ago - The Gilbert Arenas Gun Incident The GIlbert Arenas gun incident has had many twists and turns and Gilbert himself is a bit like an onion (many layered, right Shrek?).”
“GILBERT -- More than 400 Gilbert teachers will be out of a job come May.”
“GILBERT - The daughter of a dead Gilbert woman has sued the man convicted in her death to keep him from collecting royalties on a possible book or movie about the case.”
“PARK RIDGE GILBERT AND SULLIVAN SOCIETY (Gilbert and Sullivan, The Gondoliers).”
“gilbert arizona news - gilbert republic MCC roses in full bloom Winter pruning work by scores of volunteers and the Mesa-East Valley Rose Society put nature on display at Mesa Community College. from Gilbert and other communities around the Valley.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Gilbert’.
Inspired by "Hottest Guys Names: A list by fjf."
Names that start with G
Looking for tweets for Gilbert.