American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- See Nizhniy Novgorod.
- Gorky, Arshile 1904-1948. Armenian-born American painter considered a transitional figure between surrealism and abstract expressionism. His works include The Liver Is the Cock's Comb (1944).
- Gorky, Maksim also Maxim Pen name of Aleksei Maksimovich Peshkov. 1868-1936. Russian writer who supported the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 and helped develop socialist realism as the officially accepted literary aesthetic. His works include The Life of Klim Samgin (1925-1936), an unfinished cycle of novels.
- n. A Russian surname.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An industrial city in the European part of Soviet Russia.
- n. Russian writer of plays and novels and short stories; noted for his depiction of social outcasts
- n. an industrial city in the European part of Russia; birthplace of Maksim Gorky
- From Russian Горький ("Górʹkij") (Wiktionary)
“From his closely confined exile in Gorky the laureate for 1975, Andrei Sakharov, has conveyed his greetings to Esquivel, through the medium of his wife, while at the same time the ranks of human rights protagonists around him have been decimated by arrest and banishment.”
“(Memoirs of the years of exile in Gorky by Sakharov's wife.”
“(This fellow had a javelin too, you remember.) "Gorky," said Margery for the third time, which means ----”
“When Margery says "Gorky" twice in one night, it is useless to argue.”
“At this point Margery said her best word, "Gorky," which means, "A thousand thanks for the verisimilitude of your charming and interesting story, but is not the love element a trifle weak?”
“Margery said "Gorky" again, which, as I have explained, means, "Are such distressing situations within the province of the Highest Art?”
“Gorky," Sarah answered, closing her eyes in a way to express volumes.”
“There were many cities which foreigners were not allowed to visit, such as Gorky, now Nizhny Novgorod, the place of Andrei Sakharov's exile.”
“Professor V. S. Troitskii (an evolutionist) of the Radiophysical Research Institute in Gorky (Russia) claims that the speed of light used to be ten billion times as great as now.”
“The dissident physicist Andrey Sakharov was allowed to return to Moscow from exile in the city of Gorky and to speak out about the mistreatment of other dissidents.”
‘Gorky’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Gorky.