from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A historic section of London, England. It includes Hampton Court Palace, built by Cardinal Wolsey in 1515 and appropriated by Henry VIII in 1526. George II was the last to use it as a royal residence, and much of the palace is now open to the public.
- An independent city of southeast Virginia opposite Norfolk on Hampton Roads, the outlet of three rivers into Chesapeake Bay. Settled by colonists from Jamestown in 1610, the city was sacked by the British in the War of 1812 and was almost burned to the ground by Confederates in 1861 to prevent its occupation by Union troops. Population: 145,000.
- Hampton, Lionel c. 1913-2002. American musician who was the first to use the vibraphone as a jazz instrument.
- Hampton, Wade 1818-1902. American Confederate general in the Civil War who later served as governor (1876-1879) and U.S. senator (1879-1891) for South Carolina.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any of several places in England and Scotland from Saxon words meaning homestead and enclosure
- proper n. An English and Scottish habitational surname from the placenames.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States musician who was the first to use the vibraphone as a jazz instrument (1913-2002)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Up to about eight or ten years ago we at Hampton spoke of Tuskegee as a small Hampton, but "small" no longer describes Tuskegee, and I doubt seriously if _large Hampton_ would be altogether proper.
HAMPTON ROADS -- Severe weather rumbled through Hampton Roads Thursday afternoon, prompting numerous weather warnings and causing damage and flooding.
HAMPTON The city of Hampton will lose 78 permanent full-time positions to help meet a $19 million budget shortfall in 2010-11, City Manager Mary Bunting said Wednesday.
HAMPTON - Each high school in Hampton will start a volleyball club as the district decides whether to spend $63,000 to add the sport to its official athletic programs.
HAMPTON - St. James United Methodist Church located at 1533 W. Queen Street in Hampton will be giving away school supplies to children Saturday from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Text HAMPTON to 71593 to receive alerts about Hampton.
HAMPTON - The Hampton police headquarters was briefly evacuated last night after a concerned citizen brought a suspicious package to the building.
Hampton Hotels (www. hampton.com), the international brand of nearly 1,800 mid-priced hotels and one of Hilton Worldwide's portfolio of ten brands, today announced that it opened 143 hotels in 2009, and added more than 13,000 rooms to the Hampton system.
HAMPTON - The value of assessed property in Hampton has fallen by
HAMPTON - A Hampton juvenile court judge on Thursday signed off on first-degree murder and gun charges against a 15-year-old
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.