American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Hancock, Herbert Jeffrey Known as "Herbie.” Born 1940. American musician and composer of jazz and popular music. He is noted for his work with piano and electronic keyboard instruments.
- Hancock, John 1737-1793. American politician and Revolutionary leader. He was president of the Continental Congress (1775-1777) and the first to sign the Declaration of Independence. Hancock later served nine terms as governor of Massachusetts (1780-1785 and 1787-1793).
- Hancock, Winfield Scott 1824-1886. American Civil War general who defeated Robert E. Lee and George Pickett in the Gettysburg Campaign (1863).
- n. A patronymic surname.
- n. American revolutionary patriot who was president of the Continental Congress; was the first signer of the Declaration of Independence (1737-1793)
- From Hann + cock as a medieval diminutive suffix. (Wiktionary)
“HANCOCK - A year to the day after a fire swept through the American Red Cross offices in Hancock, the Red Cross held an open house to show the new space Saturday.”
“HANCOCK - A 30-year-old Hancock man led the Houghton County Sheriff's Department on a high-speed pursuit that ended at approximately 2: 15 a.m. today after the man disregarded a stop sign in Trimountain traveling north towards Houghton.”
“HANCOCK - The annual Heikinpaiva festival held in Hancock kicks off with a variety of enrichment classes beginning mid-January.”
“HANCOCK - Ryan Harper had 14 points and Seth Hall added 11 for Southern Fulton in a 69-36 win over Hancock on Wednesday.”
“HANCOCK - No matter from which direction people drive into the city, members of the Hancock Business and Professionals Association want them to know they're coming into Hancock.”
“HANCOCK - The Keweenaw Land Trust debuted its new series of outings Saturday with a trail-finding expedition at the Paavola Wetlands Preserve in Hancock.”
“HANCOCK - A high-end cabinetmaker in Hancock has agreed to become the first tenant in the former Fleetwood Travel Trailers building, Hancock Mayor Daniel A. Murphy said Thursday.”
“Friday, August 22 2008: HANCOCK - The mother of a wanted man who has been barricaded in a Hancock motel room with his girlfriend since Wednesday night made a recorded plea for her son to surrender, Maryland State Police said”
“HANCOCK, N.H. -- A Peterborough, N.H., man had a close call when his pickup sank through the ice on Nubanusit Lake in Hancock.”
“HANCOCK - A woman was seriously injured and a man was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a single-vehicle car crash east of Hancock early Sunday,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Hancock’.
Immortal people after whom waterborne species were named. Most of them have been marine zoologists, I would guess.
e.g. Gates' goblet, Humphrey's buccinum, Turton's moon snail, etc.
Looking for tweets for Hancock.