from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Hayes, Helen 1900-1993. American actress whose 50-year career included acclaimed performances on stage, as in Victoria Regina (1935-1939), and in motion pictures, such as The Sin of Madelon Claudet, for which she won an Academy Award (1932).
- Hayes, Roland 1887-1977. American tenor known for his renditions of classical songs and spirituals.
- Hayes, Rutherford Birchard 1822-1893. The 19th President of the United States (1877-1881). Winning the controversial election of 1876 by one electoral vote, he pacified the South by removing federal troops (1877), vetoed a bill restricting Chinese immigration (1879), and stemmed a congressional attempt to weaken the presidency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any of a number of places, outside Britain named for persons with the surname.
- proper n. An English habitational surname.
- proper n. An Irish surname, anglicised from Ó hAodha ("descendant of Aodh")
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. acclaimed actress of stage and screen (1900-1993)
- n. 19th President of the United States; his administration removed federal troops from the South and so ended the Reconstruction Period (1822-1893)
•Hayes wins the election * Disputed •Democrats Electoral votes refuse to recognize Hayes as President 164 369 total electoral votes, need 185 to win.
Behind the scenes, master spy Macklin Hayes is playing a very personal game of cat and mouse.
Funky Dragon: Laura Hayes is a member of Funky Dragon representing Rhondda Cynon Taff Youth Council.
William Petit was badly beaten but escaped and testified in Hayes 'trial.
No-No doesn't offer an adult "in" the way Luke does with his manic, silly behavior, but perhaps Hayes is just more focused on his core audience's concerns.
Hayes is also very approachable by readers, with a new blog featuring his characters and a contest to win a school visit from [...]
Author Hayes is also very approachable by readers, with a new blog featuring his characters and a contest to win a school visit from him.
The company, based in Hayes, England, has well-known U.K. brands in its stable including Carr's water crackers, McVitie's biscuits and Hula Hoops snacks.
Isaac Hayes is a Republican minister and first-time candidate running for a congressional seat in Illinois.
But Enberg suggests college basketball's appeal really pivoted 11 years before, when he called Elvin Hayes 'Houston team upsetting Lew Alcindor's top-ranked UCLA team in the first basketball game on prime-time TV.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.