from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Herbert, George 1593-1633. English metaphysical poet whose works, including "The Collar” (1633), are religious in theme and marked by rich symbolism and inventive meter.
- Herbert, Victor 1859-1924. American composer and conductor best known for his comic operas, including Babes in Toyland (1903).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A male given name. In modern use partly transferred back from the surname.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States musician and composer and conductor noted for his comic operas (1859-1924)
From Germanic heri "army" + berht "bright". (Wiktionary)