from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Hess, (Walter Richard) Rudolf 1894-1987. German Nazi leader. When Hitler became chancellor (1933), he named Hess as deputy führer and later (1939) as second in succession to the Nazi leadership. In May 1941 Hess was captured in Scotland, where he had flown apparently in a bid to start peace talks with Britain. At the Nuremburg trials (1946) he was sentenced to life imprisonment in Spandau Prison, Berlin, for war crimes.
- Hess, Walter Rudolf 1881-1973. Swiss physiologist. He shared a 1949 Nobel Prize for his research on the brain's control of the body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English pianist (1890-1965)
- n. Swiss physiologist noted for studies of the brain (1881-1973)
- n. Nazi leader who in 1941 flew a solo flight to Scotland in an apparent attempt to negotiate a peace treaty with Great Britain but was imprisoned for life (1894-1987)
- n. United States physicist (born in Austria) who was a discoverer of cosmic radiation (1883-1964)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I can't say I was terribly impressed by the name Hess is More - the nom de guerre of the Danish musician Mikkel Hess - when his forthcoming album landed on my desk.
Makes ya wonder what ole Kimmy Hess is up to now-a-days??
Herr Donald Hess is Swiss and he has been collecting art for more than 48 years.
Hess is the actively non-evil oil company; go Hess!
Today, Hess is concerned that the American public's interest is waning in its unaccounted for servicemen.
Frederick Hess is one of nearly 600 Americans who were lost in Laos.
Frederick M. Hess is director of Education Policy Studies at the American Enterprise Institute.
Edward D. Hess is professor of business administration and Batten Executive-in-Residence at the Darden Graduate School of Business, University of Virginia.
Hess is a frequent critic of school of education leadership programs for failing to teach candidates "proven" business management skills. "
And while Heidi and Seal’s light hits the gloom on the grey, Shea Hess is having the Best Night Ever!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.