from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Howard, Catherine 1520?-1542. Queen of England as the fifth wife of Henry VIII (1540-1542). She was accused of adultery and subsequently executed.
- Howard, Henry. First Earl of Surrey. 1517?-1547. English poet and soldier remembered for his sonnets and his translations of two books of Virgil's Aeneid. In 1547 he was falsely charged with treason and executed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
- proper n. A male given name, transferred back from the surname. Short form: Howie.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English actor of stage and screen (1893-1943)
- n. Queen of England as the fifth wife of Henry VIII who was accused of adultery and executed (1520-1542)
Medieval personal name from Old Norse Hávarðr, from hár ("high") + varðr ("guard"), also from Germanic hug ("heart,mind") + ward ("guard"). (Wiktionary)