from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Howe, Elias 1819-1867. American inventor and manufacturer who designed early sewing machines (1845 and 1846) and subsequently won patent-infringement suits against a number of manufacturers, including Isaac M. Singer.
- Howe, Gordon Known as "Gordie.” Born 1928. Canadian hockey player. A right wing who played mainly for the Detroit Red Wings (1946-1971), he led the National Hockey League in scoring six times and holds the all-time record for most games played (2,186).
- Howe, Irving 1920-1993. American social critic and editor who founded the magazine Dissent (1953).
- Howe, Julia Ward 1819-1910. American writer and feminist who was active in the women's suffrage movement. She wrote "Battle Hymn of the Republic” (published 1862) and edited Woman's Journal (1870-1890).
- Howe, Richard. Earl Howe. 1726-1799. British admiral who conducted naval operations in America (1776-1778) and defeated the French at Ushant (1794).
- Howe, Sir William. Fifth Viscount Howe. 1729-1814. British general in America. Although he defeated George Washington in a number of battles, he could not force a surrender and returned to England in 1778.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English topographic surname for someone who lived by a small hill.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Canadian hockey player who holds the record for playing the most games (born 1928)
- n. United States editor (1920-1993)
- n. United States feminist who was active in the women's suffrage movement (1819-1910)
- n. United States inventor who built early sewing machines and won suits for patent infringement against other manufacturers (including Isaac M. Singer) (1819-1867)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
HOWE HAD GONE off duty when Roskill finally got through to the department again; a much younger voice answered him, making no trouble – as Howe undoubtedly would have done – when he asked to be put straight through to the technical section stand-by man.
HOWE -- Kallie McLain drove in a run and earned the victory as Howe defeated Gunter to close out the regular season.
HOWE -- Brandon Pierce threw a two-hitter and had an RBI double as Gunter clinched its 10th straight district championship with a victory over Howe.
It lies in a bay between Hanway's Point and another, which we called Howe's Point; the diftance from the former to the latter is about five miles.
A New, authentic, and complete collection of voyages round the world, undertaken and performed by royal authority [microform] : containing an authentic, entertaining, full, and complete history of Captain Cook's first, second, third and last voyages, undertaken by order of his present Majesty, for making discoveries in geography, navigation, astronomy, &c. in the southern and northern hemispheres & c. &c. &c. ... the whole comprehending a full account, from the earliest period to the present time ...
It turns out Jeff Howe is the current father of the crowdsourcing blogosphere.
The goal of Howe is to provide, not prevent, robust opportunities.
Darling is not in Howe's class at all, so do not expect a resignation followed by a wounding speech of the kind Howe delivered.
Merseyside Chief Constable Bernard Hogan-Howe is reported by Radio 4's Toady programme to have criticised the Court system for not implementing the five year minimum sentence for carrying a firearm.
Hogan Howe is looking for a job at the Met hence the article in The Times.
Angus said ... sorry Robert, but Gordie Howe is * not* the prime minister of the UK!!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.