from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Hume, David 1711-1776. Scottish philosopher and historian whose skeptical arguments concerning induction, causation and religion, including the thesis that human knowledge arises only from sense experience, shaped 19th- and 20th-century empiricist philosophy. His works include A Treatise of Human Nature (1739-1740) and History of England (1754-1762).
- Hume, John born 1937. Politician of Northern Ireland. Head of the Social Democratic and Labour Party since 1979, Hume shared the 1998 Nobel Peace Prize with David Trimble for working to establish peace in Northern Ireland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Scottish habitational surname from Home in Berwickshire.
- proper n. An English, Irish and Scottish surname, a variant of Holme.
- proper n. David Hume Scottish philosopher and historian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Scottish philosopher whose sceptical philosophy restricted human knowledge to that which can be perceived by the senses (1711-1776)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
They journeyed on, through hilly country, beneath the shades of deep and far-spreading forests; to their left they sometimes caught a glimpse of the snow-capped peaks of the Australian Alps, and at length they reached the banks of a clear and rapid stream, which they called the Hume, but which is now known as the Murray.
(a term Hume tends to use narrowly as synonymous with "justice") really is the best policy.
Dirgham Salahi, the longtime proprietor of the Oasis Winery in Hume, Va., has died.
JR Hume is an old Montana farm boy who writes science fiction, a little fantasy, some weird detective tales, an occasional poem, and oddball stories of no particular genre.
I just moved away from Central California where most of my fishing was for trout in Hume Lake and the surrounding streams.
So much for the whole, Harper would lead the charge if she was white idiocy that Hume is spewing.
Hume is the greatest philosopher to write in English.
I think Hume is grossly overrated, and that his argument against Miracles was amply refuted by Alfred Wallace, the codiscoverer of evolution by natural selection, in his essay on the topic.
So Hume is strangely happy to accept that we could imagine that missing shade of blue, even though he thinks it a vaid counter-example to his theory — an idea not born of an impression.
Diane Weiss, manager at the Oasis Winery, in Hume, Virginia, said the agents wanted to speak with Tareq and Michaele Salahi, but Weiss didn't know their whereabouts.