from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Hussein 1935-1999. King of Jordan (1953-1999) who established a constitutional hereditary monarchy and espoused a moderate, generally pro-Western policy in the Middle East. He lost control of western Jordan in the Arab-Israeli War (1967) but was victorious in the resulting civil war (1970).
- Hussein, Saddam 1937-2006. Iraqi military and political leader who became president of Iraq in 1979. He waged war against Iran (1980-1988), and his invasion and occupation of Kuwait (1990) led to the Gulf War (1991). He was deposed in a U.S.-led invasion of Iraq (2003), convicted of crimes against humanity, and executed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Alternative spelling of Husayn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. king of Jordan credited with creating stability at home and seeking peace with Israel (1935-1999)
- n. Iraqi leader who waged war against Iran; his invasion of Kuwait led to the Gulf War (born in 1937)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mr. ABU HUSSEIN: (Foreign language spoken) MCEVERS: Abu Hussein is a card-carrying member of the Sunni Awakening.
ANDERSON COOPER, CNN ANCHOR: The two hussein daughters who surfaced today may have had more reason than the U.S. to dislike Hussein, if that's possible.
Rima: I respect the story of hussein a lot when I learned about it at school I felt so bad … But be careful don't commit the utmost crimes in the name of Hussein as the crusaders did in the name of the cross ...
THAT ONE TiredMom HUSSEIN (20: 01: 03): caligrl Hussein wolves eat Palin (20: 02: 03) @ds55 (19: 55: 26)
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 9/6/09: It's time to say ‘bye-bye, Barry 'and ‘hello, Hussein'! yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'It\'s time to say ‘bye-bye, Barry\' and ‘hello, Hussein\ '!'
Everyone knows the name Hussein is Arabic and Muslims all over the world are ecstatic that one of their own is in the White House.
You may have learnt from your Arabic friends those Koranic phrases, but do you know "Hussein" is a popular Muslim name?
Just a final note If people are offended 'Hussein' is his birth name then why aren't they upset that the name 'George' should only be used with great presidents!
Just knowing that Saddam Hussein is dead makes me feel great about President Bush.
“Their take on China, or their take on Iran, or their take on the Soviet Union, or their take on Saddam Hussein, is all the same and the same as the general take that the nationalistic right has in all countries”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.