from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Japheth or his descendants.
- adj. Of or relating to a discredited linguistic grouping that attempted to associate Basque, Etruscan, and sometimes Sumerian and Elamite with the Caucasian languages.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the supposed descendants of Japheth, one of the three sons of Noah in the Bible.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the supposed languages spoken by the descendants of Japheth, son of Noah in the Bible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or derived from, Japheth, one of the sons of Noah
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Japheth, one of the sons of Noah; descended, or supposed to be descended, from Japheth; Indo-European or Aryan: as, the Japhetic nations. Compare Semitic, and Hamitic.
Japheth + -ic Coined in the first half of the 19th century alongside Semitic and Hamitic. (Wiktionary)