from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Johnston, Albert Sidney 1803-1862. American Confederate general in the Civil War. He was defeated by Ulysses S. Grant at Shiloh (1862).
- Johnston, Joseph Eggleston 1807-1891. American Confederate general in the Civil War who surrendered to William Tecumseh Sherman in 1865.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Scottish habitational surname from a place in Dumfriesshire, meaning "John's town".
- proper n. An English surname, variant of Johnson.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Confederate general in the American Civil War; led the Confederate troops in the West (1807-1891)
Sorry, no etymologies found.