American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of a series of assault rifles of Soviet design, especially the AK-47.
- n. a particular model of Russian assault rifle.
- n. A transliteration of a Russian surname.
- n. a type of submachine gun made in Russia
- Named after its Russian designer Mikhail Kalashnikov, in Russian: Калашников (Kalášnikov) (Wiktionary)
- After Mikhail Timofeevich Kalashnikov (born 1919), Soviet arms engineer. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“They insisted that the word Kalashnikov rang with the many admirable traits they saw in the rifle or the man: quality, reliability, fidelity to nation, and the rest.”
“The claim about being shot by a Kalashnikov is also total nonsense.”
“Magazine One of the trademarks of the Kalashnikov is the reddish plastic magazine.”
“Similar uncertainty surrounds the emblem of the Túpac Amaru Revolutionary Movement, or MRTA, which included the image of an assault rifle that is often called a Kalashnikov.”
“Mikhail Kalashnikov is right - only shooting, shooting and more shooting will produce results.”
“Now nearly 60 years and perhaps 100 million rifles later, Mikhail Kalashnikov is both a general in semiretirement and Moscow's unofficial firearms ambassador to the world.”
“Now nearly 60years and perhaps 100 million rifles later, Mikhail Kalashnikov is both ageneral in semiretirement and Moscow's unofficial firearms ambassador to theworld.”
“Mikhail "AK-47" Kalashnikov is flat broke, so he's licensing his name out for use as a branding tool for a line of sleek German consumables.”
“What some have called a Kalashnikov looks to me like a crutch.”
“Added to their numbers are the bloated army and security service, which one Western official called the Kalashnikov Employment Act.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Kalashnikov’.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
Words and names discovered or re-discovered while reading and re-reading this awesome book.
Looking for tweets for Kalashnikov.