from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southeast Ontario, Canada, on Lake Ontario near the head of the St. Lawrence River. The present city was founded by Loyalists in 1783 on the site of Fort Frontenac, a crucial defense point in the French and Indian Wars. It was the capital of Canada from 1841 to 1844. Population: 117,000.
- The capital of Jamaica, in the southeast part of the island on the Caribbean Sea. It was founded c. 1692 and became the capital in 1872. Population: 579,000.
- Kingston, Maxine Hong Born 1940. American writer noted for incorporating her Chinese-American background into her writings. Her best known works include The Woman Warrior (1976) and China Men (1980).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital of Jamaica.
- proper n. Any of various towns or cities in the UK, US, Canada or Australia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The black angel fish. See Angel fish, under angel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The angel-fish or monk-fish, Squatina vulgaris, one of the elas-mobranchiate fishes found on the coasts of Great Britain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. capital and largest city of Jamaica
- n. a town on the Hudson River in New York
- n. a town in southeast Ontario on Lake Ontario near the head of the Saint Lawrence River
Sorry, no etymologies found.
KINGSTON: Running battles between Jamaican authorities and drug gang members turned part of Kingston into a warzone on Monday, with death toll rising to at least three as gunmen fired on security forces hunting an alleged drug kingpin.
KINGSTON (Reuters) - Alleged drug kingpin Christopher "Dudus" Coke was arrested by police on the outskirts of Kingston on Tuesday, peacefully ending a manhunt for the fugitive at the center of last month's deadly raids in the Jamaican capital.
KINGSTON - When the Gherity family purchased 15 acres of farmland outside Kingston in 1973, there were just three trees on the property.
KINGSTON (AFP) - Slum dwellers in Kingston are seething with anger at Jamaica's security forces 'house-to-house searches for a powerful druglord, with the death toll rising but no trace of the operation's target.
"The new Kingston SSDNow V+ is an ideal solid-state drive for high-level consumers and in corporate environments where efficiency and performance are important as more system resources are in use," said Ariel Perez, SSD business manager, Kingston®.
KINGSTON - City officials in Kingston would still like to find a developer to transform the former parking garage property into new development.
KINGSTON - Two Luzerne County men were charged Sunday in connection with the knifepoint robbery of a Kingston convenience store the previous night.
KINGSTON - The Ulster County Sheriff's Office has arrested a Kingston teen and charged him with two counts of criminal sex act in the second degree, a felony.
KINGSTON - There's no more fitting role for a history buff than as pastor of the Old Dutch Church in uptown Kingston during its 350th anniversary year.
KINGSTON - A 45-year-old Kingston man is facing gun trafficking and burglary charges as a result of an undercover investigation conducted by the Ulster Regional Gang Enforcement Narcotics Team.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.