from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital and largest city of Portugal, in the western part of the country on the Tagus River estuary. An ancient Iberian settlement, it was held by the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, taken by the Romans in 205 B.C., and conquered by the Moors c. A.D. 714. Reconquered by the Portuguese in 1147, it flourished in the 16th century during the heyday of colonial expansion in Africa and India. The city was devastated by a major earthquake in 1755. Population: 565,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The capital of Portugal and of the district of Lisbon.
- proper n. A district of Portugal.
- proper n. A sweet, light-coloured wine from Portugal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sweet, light-colored species of wine, produced in the province of Estremadura, and so called as being shipped from Lisbon, in Portugal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. capital and largest city and economic and cultural center of Portugal; a major port in western Portugal on Tagus River where it broadens and empties into the Atlantic
Sorry, no etymologies found.