from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Lunt, Alfred 1893-1977. American actor who performed with his wife Lynn Fontanne in many stage productions, including Pygmalion (1926) and Quadrille (1952-1955).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The match cord formerly used in firing cannon.
- n. A puff of smoke.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A match, torch, or port-fire anciently used for discharging cannon.
- n. The lock and appurtenances of a match-lock gun. See quotation under snap-work.
- n. A lively combustion; fire and smoke in general.
- To emit smoke; flame; be on fire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States actor who performed with his wife Lynn Fontanne in many stage productions (1893-1977)
Sorry, no etymologies found.