American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Luther, Martin 1483-1546. German theologian and leader of the Reformation. His opposition to the wealth and corruption of the papacy and his belief that salvation would be granted on the basis of faith alone rather than by works caused his excommunication from the Catholic Church (1521). Luther confirmed the Augsburg Confession in 1530, effectively establishing the Lutheran Church.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A Middle English form of lither .
- n. Martin Luther, German monk and theologian whose teaching inspired the Reformation
- n. A male given name, transferred use of the German surname of Martin Luther, Germanic liut "people" + heri,hari "army", derived from the given name that appears as Lothar in modern German.
- n. rare : A surname from Middle English luthier "lute player".
- n. German theologian who led the Reformation; believed that salvation is granted on the basis of faith rather than deeds (1483-1546)
“Of innumerable biographies of Luther the best from sympathetic Protestant pens are: Julius Köstlin, _Life of Luther, _ trans. and abridged from the German (1900); T.M. Lindsay, _Luther and the German Reformation_ (1900); A.C. M.Giffert, _M.rtin Luther, the”
“A remarkable arraignment of Luther is the work of the eminent Catholic historian, F.H. S. Denifle, _Luther und Luthertum in der ersten”
“In the Protestant view the mistake is this, that Luther became a _monk, _ in the Catholic view, it is this, that _Luther_ became a monk.”
“STUDENTS ACCEPTED TO LUTHER: Scot Schaeffer, Luther College vice president for enrollment management, has announced that Madeline Ford and Aimee Janis of Iowa City have been accepted for admission for the 2009-10 academic year to Luther.”
“˜he™, pointing at a picture of Lex Luther, in ˜He is evil™ to represent a visual/perceptual demonstrative when ascribing beliefs to Superman and ˜Luther™ when ascribing beliefs to Clark Kent.”
“_ This language seemed to Luther himself so forcible, that for all his strong desire to turn Zwinglian, thinking by that means to make it most awkward for the Pope, nevertheless he was caught and fast bound by this most open context, and gave in to it (_Luther, epistol. ad Argent. _), and confessed Christ truly present in the Most Holy Sacrament no less unwillingly than the demons of old, overcome by His miracles, cried aloud that He was Christ, the Son of God.”
“-- BEARD, _Martin Luther_ (see above, p. 386), is probably the best account in English of Luther before his retirement to the Wartburg; KÖSTLIN, _Life of Luther_ (Scribner's”
“Martin Luther is apparently now a Demon and or Devil.”
“Our Martin Luther is sitting in our courses right now.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Luther’.
Immortal people after whom waterborne species were named. Most of them have been marine zoologists, I would guess.
e.g. Gates' goblet, Humphrey's buccinum, Turton's moon snail, etc.
Looking for tweets for Luther.