from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of east-central France at the confluence of the Rhone and Saône rivers south of Mâcon. Founded in 43 B.C. as a Roman colony, it was the principal city of Gaul and an important religious center after the introduction of Christianity. Its silk industry dates to the 15th century. Population: 466,000.
- Lyon, Mary Mason 1797-1849. American educator who founded (1837) Mount Holyoke College, the first American institution of higher learning for women.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Alternative spelling of Lyons.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete spelling of lion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in east-central France on the Rhone River; a principal producer of silk and rayon
Sorry, no etymologies found.
LYON, France (AFP) - Bayern Munich cruised into the Champions League final with a 3-0 win over Lyon here on Tuesday.
LYON, France - Bayern Munich advanced to the European Champions League final for the first time in nine years, routing Lyon 3-0 Tuesday night on three goals by Ivica Olic.
LYON, France -- Lyon needs to play higher-risk football against Bayern Munich in the second leg of the Champions League semifinals to improve its chances of reaching the European Cup final for the first time, according to striker Lisandro Lopez.
LYON: Lyon ruined former striker Karim Benzema's return to his boyhood club by beating Real Madrid 1-0 in their last 16 Champions League first leg clash on Thursday.
LYON, France (AFP) - Trailing 1-0 ahead of the conclusion of their Champions League semi-final with Bayern Munich on Tuesday, Lyon are keen to prove their worth following a meek performance in the first leg.
LYON: Lyon will have history on their side when they host Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 tie on Tuesday.
LYON, France (AFP) - Argentine striker Lisandro Lopez has signed a five-year deal with French club Lyon worth 24 million euros.
It takes very little to get me imagining myself in Lyon, and the prospect of gourmet cuisine, glorious architecture, and a city-wide recreation of an arcade favorite from my childhood?
To note, Lyon is the first major city where this kind of system was put at such a scale.
And for a while things go well, even if Lyon is adamantly opposed to settling down.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.