American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Mach number.
- Mach, Ernst 1838-1916. Austrian physicist and philosopher who played a central role in the development of logical positivism. His works include the influential Science of Mathematics (1883).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Abbreviations.
- n. of machinery;
- n. of machinist.
- n. Ernst Mach, Austrian physicist 1838 - 1916.
- n. physics a ratio of the speed (of an object, etc.) to the speed of sound in the fluid or other medium through which the object travels. Usually used to describe supersonic speeds.
- n. physics the Mach number
- n. Austrian physicist and philosopher who introduced the Mach number and who founded logical positivism (1838-1916)
“Most importantly for engineers, Mach Number is the ratio of the speed of sound in the given medium to the speed of the projectile; his work is essential to modern aerodynamics, and through it the word ˜Mach™ has bizarrely entered into popular culture as an icon for razors, sound systems, fighter pilots, and high speed fuels.”
“But not everything always goes according to the plan. flutter testing at the outer edge of the flight envelope, Feuerstein explains that when they were operating very close to the maximum mach operating speed MMO, around .90 Mach, a gentle oscillation could be felt in the cockpit.”
“Check out this really cool mighty-morphin Mach 5, based on the car from the upcoming Speed Racer movie.”
“I think the .17 Mach is a fine 100-yard cartridge, and I tested it for accuracy at a conservative 50 yards, where I got. 95-inch five-shot groups.”
“The launch vehicle (rocket) was expected to reach an altitude of about 100 kilometers (60 miles) on its twenty-two-minute journey that reached a top speed of approximately 5,000 kilometers (3,100 mile) per hour-what is commonly called Mach 5 in aeronautics and astronautics.”
“Freshly released from fourth grade, I bounced happily in the backseat of our white ’73 Caprice which I called the Mach Five and unconcerned about the lack of luxuries like air conditioning and decent stereo sound.”
“The robot youth, called Mach, had occupied a living human body for the first time, and fallen in love with the human form of Fleta before properly appreciating her nature.”
“App.Ct. 332 (1993) (unreasonable use of defective and dangerous side climbing system on fire engine); Goulet v. Whitin Mach.”
“Neil: There are the "efficient" handcycles which are low to the ground and need like the size of a giant truck to haul or store them or there is this evil solid Iron thing I rent called the Mach 3 probably because it weighs three tons!”
Looking for tweets for Mach.