from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The stem of the rattan palm, used for making canes and umbrella handles.
- Strait ofMalacca A channel between Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula connecting the Andaman Sea with the South China Sea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. State in western Malaysia.
- proper n. Capital of Malacca state.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A town and district upon the seacoast of the Malay Peninsula.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cane made from the stem of a rattan palm
- n. stem of the rattan palm used for making canes and umbrella handles
After Malacca (now Melaka), a town of western Malaysia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Malay Melaka, probably after melaka, a kind of tree that grows in the region. (Wiktionary)