from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Marshall, George Catlett 1880-1959. American soldier, diplomat, and politician. As U.S. secretary of state (1947-1949) he organized the European Recovery Program, often called the Marshall Plan, for which he received the 1953 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Marshall, John 1755-1835. American jurist and politician who served as the chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1801-1835) and helped establish the practice of judicial review.
- Marshall, Thurgood 1908-1993. American jurist who served as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1967 to 1991. As a lawyer for the NAACP Marshall argued 32 cases before the Supreme Court, winning 29 of them, including Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas (1954), which brought about the end of legal segregation in public schools.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English and Scottish status surname for someone who was in charge of the horses of a royal household, or an occupational surname for someone who looked after horses, or was responsible for the custody of prisoners.
- proper n. A male given name, transferred use of the surname since nineteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States actor (1914-1998)
- n. United States jurist; as chief justice of the Supreme Court he established the principles of United States constitutional law (1755-1835)
- n. (in some countries) a military officer of highest rank
- n. United States general and statesman who as Secretary of State organized the European Recovery Program (1880-1959)
- n. a law officer having duties similar to those of a sheriff in carrying out the judgments of a court of law
HELEN MARSHALL, QUEENS BOROUGH PRESIDENT: Every person that talks to me stops me and says Marshall, I wish I could get my hands on that guy.
If we trade marshall for a 1st and 3rd, we will spend more money on those 1st and 3rd round players who have the potential to be busts than we would on Marshall, who is proven to be a Beast.
MARSHALL - A Marshall man who abandoned his fiancée and 4-year-old daughter said Friday he
MARSHALL -- Marshall coach Dan Coddens knew he needed a big effort from senior Jeff Lough for a chance to play for another district crown.
MARSHALL - Marshall scored 10 runs on just one hit in the top of the eighth inning to defeat Lake Mills 15-5 in a Capitol Conference crossover game Thursday.
MARSHALL - It's not a done deal yet, but Marshall area officials are excited about the possible development of about 200 acres on C Drive North in Marshall Township.
MARSHALL - Crews have closed both lanes of U.S. 25 / 70 in the town of Marshall until Thursday morning due to a forest fire on a hillside near the road.
MARSHALL - Amy Olsen of Marshall said it doesn't seem so long ago since she and Bea Taintor joined the Variety Study Club back in 1963.
MARSHALL - The Schwan Food Co. will sell its call centers in Marshall and Lake Wilson to Customer Elation of Bloomington.
My cousin Marshall is coming back from Europe on purpose that he may be here and be ready.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.