American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Mayer, Louis Burt 1885-1957. Russian-born American motion-picture producer who formed a film company (1918) and merged with Samuel Goldwyn to form Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (1924). His productions include Ben Hur (1926) and Dinner at Eight (1933).
- Mayer, Marie Goeppert 1906-1972. German-born American physicist. She shared a 1963 Nobel Prize for research on the structure of the atom and its nucleus.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who goes a maying, or takes part in May-day festivities.
- n. United States physicist (born in Germany) noted for her research on the structure of the atom (1906-1972)
- n. United States filmmaker (born in Russia) who founded his own film company and later merged with Samuel Goldwyn (1885-1957)
“-- Google's Marissa Mayer is the guest star of the GigaOM Show.”
“Marissa Mayer is responsible for many of the changes in how we conduct an online life, how we search, how we interact with technology.”
“But Jim Mayer is correct: in the absence of a "None of the Above" option and unless actual leaders emerge, this crowd that has been so abusive, so duplicitous toward the people who live in this city will continue in office.”
“Two officers of the Portsmouth, New Hampshire Police Department removed Carol Shea-Porter and Susan Mayer from a February 2005 town hall event hosted by then-President George W. Bush at the request of the owner of the property, a spokesman for the Police Department tells NowHampshire. com.”
“Martin Mayer aptly concluded, if one had to pick a single person most responsible for the S&L crisis becoming a debacle it would be Dick Pratt.”
“Well, now Mayer is hoping fans will follow him to his blog to keep up with his brain droppings, now not limited to 140 character bursts.”
“By a remarkable coincidence, senior Walt Disney executive Kevin Mayer left LEK to join Disney, before which his responsibilities included “the creation of comprehensive anti-piracy strategies for motion picture studios and trade associations,” according to his bio.”
“The Burlingame Fred Mayer is 77,000 square feet, most of which is original to the 1950 store.”
“The "Oscar Mayer" is given out to actors, musicians, athletes, etc. who inspire audiences to leave their seats in search of hot dogs.”
“These characters, Mr. Kutcher said on stage today, “will know who John Mayer is dating next, where he is eating lunch, and what is happening next.””
‘Mayer’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Mayer.