from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Mayer, Louis Burt 1885-1957. Russian-born American motion-picture producer who formed a film company (1918) and merged with Samuel Goldwyn to form Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (1924). His productions include Ben Hur (1926) and Dinner at Eight (1933).
- Mayer, Marie Goeppert 1906-1972. German-born American physicist. She shared a 1963 Nobel Prize for research on the structure of the atom and its nucleus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who goes a maying, or takes part in May-day festivities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States physicist (born in Germany) noted for her research on the structure of the atom (1906-1972)
- n. United States filmmaker (born in Russia) who founded his own film company and later merged with Samuel Goldwyn (1885-1957)
Sorry, no etymologies found.