American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Mercator, Gerhardus Originally Gerhard Kremer. 1512-1594. Flemish cartographer who developed the Mercator projection (1568).
- n. Pertaining to an orthomorphic map projection, in which meridians appear at right-angles to the equator, and lines of latitude are horizontal lines whose distance from each other increases with distance from the equator.
- n. Such a projection or chart.
- n. Flemish geographer who lived in Germany; he invented the Mercator projection of maps of the globe (1512-1594)
- Latinized name of Gerard de Cremer, Flemish cartographer and mathematician. (Wiktionary)
“We could produce weather visualizations for any country or the whole world, taking advantage of the new integrated geodesy system to visualize in Mercator or any other cartographic projection.”
“Gerardus Mercator (1512 – 1594), a Flemish geographer, mathematician, and cartographer whose most important innovation was a map, using what was later known as the Mercator projection, on which parallels and meridians are rendered as straight lines spaced so as to produce at any point an accurate ratio of latitude to longitude.”
“The first watch, specifically, is the Vacheron Constantin Mercator.”
“Practically all charts you will use will be called Mercator charts.”
“Mercator, which is also up for sale and which has a market share of about 4.5 percent in Bosnia, did not disclose the value of the deal, which will be enforced pending approval of the Bosnian competition authority.”
“We are trying to settle a dispute on the proper pronunciation of "Mercator".”
“This inclination of the Catholic poet towards Luther's teaching found great applause among Protestants, and fostered the development of polemico-satirical sectarian plays, as Naogeorgus's "Mercator" (1539) shows.”
“Before his death Lambin had undertaken a commentary on Plautus, and had begun the notes on the thirteenth play, the "Mercator".”
“Feb. 9/CNW/- Mercator Minerals Ltd. ( "Mercator") (TSX - ML) is pleased to announce that the commissioning of phase 1.5 at its wholly owned Mineral Park today that it has closed the Private ...”
“( "Mercator") (TSX - ML) is pleased to announce that the commissioning of phase 1.5 at its wholly owned Mineral”
‘Mercator’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Mercator.