from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northeast-central Louisiana east of Shreveport. Founded in 1785, it is an industrial center. Population: 51,600.
- Monroe, Harriet 1860-1936. American poet who founded and edited (1912-1936) Poetry, an influential magazine in which works of Marianne Moore, Wallace Stevens, and William Carlos Williams, among others, were first published.
- Monroe, James 1758-1831. The fifth President of the United States (1817-1825), whose administration was marked by the acquisition of Florida (1819), the Missouri Compromise (1820), in which Missouri was declared a slave state, and the profession of the Monroe Doctrine (1823), declaring U.S. opposition to European interference in the Americas.
- Monroe, Marilyn Originally Norma Jean Baker. 1926-1962. American actress noted for her roles in movies such as Some Like It Hot (1959) and The Misfits (1961) and for her tragic death.
- Monroe, William Smith Known as "Bill.” 1911-1996. American guitarist, singer, and songwriter widely regarded as the father of bluegrass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Scottish topographic surname from Gaelic words meaning "foot of a hill"
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States film actress noted for sex appeal (1926-1962)
- n. a town in north central Louisiana
- n. 5th President of the United States; author of the Monroe Doctrine (1758-1831)
- n. a town of southeast Michigan on Lake Erie
Sorry, no etymologies found.
MONROE, OH (FOX19) - A Mason man was arrested in Monroe early Wednesday morning after traveling several miles the wrong way on State Route 63 in Monroe.
MONROE - The police are responding today, April 6, to a complaint about a group of pot-bellied pigs roaming in the streets, according to Monroe dispatchers.
MONROE - Gypsy moths have been found in one Southwest Ohio area, in parts of Middletown and Monroe in Butler County.
MONROE, N.C. -- An Amber Alert was issued for a missing North Carolina baby who officials said was abducted in Monroe on Tuesday.
MONROE, OH (FOX19) - It has been just over a week since lightning hit the "King Of King's" statue along I-75 in Monroe and set it on fire.
► CLARKE CENTRAL 16, MONROE AREA 4 (six innings): At Monroe, Bradley West went the distance, striking out nine, and Jay Swinford went 3-for-5 with four RBIs and his first home run of the season as the Gladiators bashed the Purple Hurricanes.
MONROE - Three-penny stamps propelled the World War II letters from the South Pacific to a small farm on Route 1 in Monroe.
MONROE - Hundreds of parishioners are expected to attend the noon Mass this Sunday to watch the Rev. Jeffrey Maurer celebrate his final Mass as a parochial vicar at Sacred Heart Church in Monroe.
MONROE, N.C. -- One person was killed when a helicopter crashed in an open field in Monroe early Thursday.
MONROE - A group of residents from the Mount Pleasant Retirement Village along with some other Monroe residents have signed a petition asking the city to stop its fight against a coke plant in Middletown.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.